You regularly ask me for a summary of nutritional advice applicable on a daily basis, integrating both individual health and environmental issues. Here is the Hummingbirds Charter of Positive Nutrition. It takes up in a practical way the main objectives intended to take care of us, our children and the planet. To actively contribute, more than long speeches (I invite you to (re) discover my article Are you a nutrition hummingbird?), Here are the 10 key commitments that I propose to you. I initiated this idea of creating a nutritional and environmental charter as part of my professional education, but it now seems essential to share it with as many people as possible. It’s your turn !
1. I take the time to choose, cook and enjoy. In conscience
- I choose my diet in consciousness, for my health and that of the planet.
- I take the time to to choose my food, of to cook, d ‘observer, of feel and of share my meal with the people I love and making sure to chew well : 20 min per meal is a minimum. I take the test chew 20 times before swallowing and put my fork down between each bite….
- I listen my feelings of hunger and satiety, my appetite will be regulated accordingly. I move away from sources of distraction when I eat (phone, computer, TV…). I realize how much it is possible to eat without really paying attention to this precious act.
- Yes various my food to the maximum.
2. I consume a raw Mediterranean-inspired diet with at least 80% plants
- I prefer cooking with gentle steam (steamed or steamed oven) to the detriment of fried, scorched or browned foods.
- Every day I eat (according to my appetite) 800g of fruits and vegetables, one raw vegetable and one cooked vegetable with each meal.
- I vary the vegetables and the colors (potatoes are not part of the vegetables…).
- I prefer raw frozen vegetables to canned products.
- I prefer foods to low insulin load : legumes at least 2 to 3 times a week, whole grain products, French quinoa, buckwheat, sweet potato, basmati rice, pure sourdough bread with long fermentation with small spelled (depending on my gluten tolerance ).
- I consume every day spices (turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, cloves …), aromatics (thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, basil, mint, parsley, chervil, chives, tarragon, dill, etc.), small berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.), dark chocolate rich in cocoa (85% minimum or even more),garlic and theonion (raw or marinated), cabbage (especially fresh broccoli).
3. I reduce my consumption of animal products
Depending on my level of commitment, I eat:
- Without animal products at least 1 day a week,
- Without meat 3 days a week and I am completely eliminating ruminant meat in favor of eggs, farm poultry, fish from responsible fisheries.
- I completely remove the meat.
- I boycott products from intensive farming for the benefit of extensive methods respectful of animal wellbeing (pastures, hay, meadows, etc.).
- Dairy products are not essential. If I like them and tolerate them, I prefer fermented dairy products, raw milk of farm origin and if possible from small animals (goat, sheep). I limit my consumption to 3 to 5 products per week.
4. I give up ultra-processed products, I limit as much as possible the salt and added sugar
- I realize that the most powerful way to change the food and environmental situation is tostop buying what is against my values. Yes boycott large-scale distribution and large agro-food companies.
- I prefer foods still present in their matrix (not destructured, crushed, blown, hydrolyzed, etc.).
- I stop industrialized dishes, pastries, pastries, cookies (sweet or savory), sodas and other industrial sweets. If I want to, I reserve foods containing added sugar for occasional pleasures, I do not let myself be seduced by false sugars, I remove all sweeteners (including stevia), I consume local and colored honey (in moderation).
- I watch my salt intake by limiting my consumption of bread, cold meats, cheeses and prepared meals because they represent more than three-quarters of the daily intake (on average), not counting the added table salt. I realize that the attraction to salty flavor is not innate, it is conditioned.
5. I prefer foods rich in quality fat
- Every day I consume at least 3 tablespoons of raw oil : half rapeseed (or walnut, or camelina for variation) and half olive, virgin, first cold pressed, refrigerated for a maximum of 3 months for rapeseed oil.
- I eat at least 50 to 80g of oilseeds: walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds of French origin.
- I consume small oily fish for omega 3 EPA and DHA (sardines, mackerel, anchovies, even canned) once or twice a week.
- I favor purchases of animal products from the sector Blue-white-heart orextensive breeding. Animal products from intensive farming, in particular beef and pork, contain more arachidonic acid (omega 6 to be kept to a minimum) and less omega 3 (especially DHA).
6. I hydrate
- Every day I drink at least 1.5 liters of water because my body is made up on average of 60% water.
- I favor lightly mineralized spring waters.
- I drink at least 2 to 3 cups of green tea, ideally Pu-erh (fermented tea) and / or according to my tolerance 1 to 2 coffees per day.
- If I wish and tolerate it, I drink a maximum of 1 glass of red wine per day, of Demeter origin and ideally without added sulfur.
7. I promote responsible sectors
- I choose a diet ofbiological origin (or a producer oriented in the process), ideally in biodynamics or with the Bio-consistency label.
- I eat local and of season.
- I favor short circuits, or even direct purchases or via AMAP. I go to meet producers.
8. I limit food waste as much as possible and adopt a “zero waste” behavior
- Yes sort and to recycle my waste.
- I do my compost.
- I am eliminating plastic packaging in favor of glass.
- I use utensils in stainless steel for cooking instead of Teflon, ceramics or “stone” utensils.
9. I put my hands in the dirt
According to my possibilities and my aspirations:
- I make my own garden in permaculture.
- I adhere to a project of collective garden.
- I favor old seeds.
I educate those around me food issues, both in terms of individual health and the environment.
For further : if you would like advice on how to organize meals during the day, I invite you to discover my article How to compose your menus?
Join the Academy of Positive Nutrition