news oceon

Beirut blast: Dutch ambassador’s wife’donated organs’ after Agreeing to injuries from Burst

Copyright: Dutch government
Spread the love

The wife of the Dutch ambassador of Lebanon donated her organs after her death in the explosion last week in Beirut, according to a number of local journalists.

Hedwig Waltmans-Molier, 55, died of his injuries in hospital on Saturday just four days after the massive explosion that ravaged the Lebanese capital, causing enormous destruction.
She donated organs to two patients.

The Dutch Embassy has confirmed that Waltmans-Molier was an organ donor and said it was a private matter.

In a statement shortly after his death, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it was “deeply saddened” by the news and sent condolences to the family.

She paid tribute to her “exemplary” commitment to working under “demanding, difficult or dangerous circumstances” as a diplomat herself worldwide for the Netherlands.

She was loved by her colleagues and will be sadly missed,” the statement said.

“His death is a loss for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and for the country”.

Hedwig and her husband, Jan, had been together for 38 years and both had had careers at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Her last role was as a partner in the ministry’s human resources department, where she divided her time between Beirut and The Hague.

The couple had recently returned to Lebanon after spending time at their home in the Netherlands, which Jan posted on Twitter a few days earlier.

But on Tuesday, Hedwig was reportedly standing next to her husband in their living room in Beirut when the second of the two explosions erupted.

She was hit by the explosion “by bad luck,” the ministry said.

The explosions in the Beirut port area angered the Lebanese population, who before last week had already grappled with an ongoing financial crisis and a hard impact from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Protesters stormed government buildings over the weekend to demand answers as to why such a huge stockpile of ammonium nitrate was being stored inside the port, which caused the explosion that killed more than 150 people and left hundreds of thousands homeless.

The Lebanese Red Cross said on Sunday that at least 65 people had been taken to hospital as police encountered protesters with tear gas, while 185 were treated at the scene.

Even more News